The only list of journal prompts for self-discovery you’ll need to know yourself better.
Journaling is probably one of the most rewarding experiences that you can have every day.
It’s the best time to reflect on life and learn from it. According to The University of Rochester Medical Center, journaling also boosts mental health by providing an opportunity for positive self-talk.
However, most of those who quit journaling at some point didn’t stop because they couldn’t see the benefits of journaling. They just don’t know what to write about.
I get it. A blank page can be intimidating. I’ve been using this list of journal prompts for self-discovery for some time and find it particularly helpful for journaling beginners just like me.
These thought-provoking journaling prompts have made writing a diary a relaxing self-exploration process. So if you want to know yourself better as well, definitely try it!
Table Of Content
117 Journal Prompts For Self-discovery
17 Journal prompts to know your presence
- Who are you?
- What is the best day you have recently? How was it like?
- List all the things (small things as well) that make you happy today.
- How do you feel about your body?
- What do you want to do with your free time today?
- What is the habit that you have for the longest time? Why?
- If you can only keep 3 things you have right now, what will they be and why?
- Try to think of a life-changing moment. What happened then?
- What is going well in your life right now?
- If you are to get a quote tattoo, what quote will you get?
- How will you describe yourself to a complete stranger?
- What are you most grateful for at the moment?
- Money, family, health, how do you prioritize these 3 things?
- What worries you the most currently?
- What do you do today to take care of yourself?
- What is the one new thing you learn that interest you the most?
- What keeps you awake at night?
15 Journal prompts to rediscover your past
- Scroll to the first post of your Instagram. What does it say?
- Did you enjoy your childhood as a kid? Why?
- What is one thing that you regret the most? What would you do differently if given a second chance?
- If you meet a friend that you haven’t seen in 10 years, how will you tell him/her about your life?
- Do you have any trauma that you never heal from?
- Think of a day when you were most happy as a kid. What happened?
- What have you lied about? Why?
- If you can time travel, what will you tell your teenage self?
- What is the greatest life lesson you’ve ever learned?
- Think of 3 people that you hate the most. What have they done to you?
- Write down one thing that you can not let go of.
- Write a letter to someone that you forgive.
- What is the biggest mistake you’ve ever made?
- Write a thank you letter to someone who has helped you through tough times.
- What’s the dumbest story of you that you will tell your kid?
15 Journal prompts that help to understand your mind
- How do you make decisions? By heart or logical analysis?
- What do you do on a bad day?
- What is your MBTI personality type?
- Do you believe faith is powerful? Why and why not?
- What will you do if you feel distracted?
- How do you manage stress?
- Write about your biggest or wildest fantasy.
- What is one secret you never told?
- How do you deal with anger?
- Write down lyrics of a song that keeps looping in your head.
- What is the last “I feel so much better now” moment? What happened?
- Write about a change you did that makes your life or work better.
- If you can wipe out one thing in your mind, what will that be?
- Do you want to live forever? Why?
10 Journal prompts to find your true passion
- What is the one thing you feel genuinely excited about?
- If you can take a day off, what will you do?
- What is the thing that makes you feel proud recently? Why?
- Any future plan you are excited about?
- What is the one thing that you did recently that made you lose track of time?
- What is your favorite book? Write a review about it.
- Name a place you always want to go to. What will you do there given enough time?
- Name a movie that impresses you the most. Why is that so?
- Make a bucket list.
- What is the one experience that you think will make life complete?
11 Journal prompts reevaluate your strengths
- What are the things you do better compare to the people around you?
- What are the things you do without trying hard but surprise others?
- How will you describe your biggest strengths?
- Are you a creative person? What is the one thing you created that you are proud of?
- Write about an experience that you stand up for someone else.
- What cheers you up on a bad day?
- Describe your dream job.
- Write about the most glorious moment in your life so far.
- What makes you unique?
- Think of the last time you solve a problem. How did you do it?
- Write about a brave moment you have.
11 Journal prompts to know your weakness
- What is the thing that’s been dragging you back?
- Is there anything you want to do for long but haven’t done it yet? Why?
- What is your biggest fear for the moment?
- What are the potential risks for your life? Given anything you need, how will you tackle them?
- What has your partner or family complained about you?
- What makes you angry?
- What is one thing that you want to change about yourself?
- What is one advice you didn’t believe in but turned out to be helpful?
- What is keeping you from your dream?
- What is the most f*cked-up thing you’ve done?
- What superpower do you wish you have?
Read also: 23 questions to boost self-awareness
18 Journal prompts to understand your relationships better
- How do you tell if you can befriend with someone else?
- What are the major qualities you value for a friend?
- How will you describe your (future) soulmate?
- List the qualities of the person you want to spend your life with.
- Who is your best friend? How is he/she like?
- Who do you miss the most?
- Tell me about your parents.
- If you could only bring one person with you to Mars on the apocalypse, who would you bring and why?
- Describe the worst breakup you had. How do you get over it?
- Have you “lost your mind” for anyone? What do you feel about him/her now?
- If you can marry a celebrity, who and why?
- Are you comfortable being single for life?
- If you are to spend the rest of your life with an animal, what will it be?
- Whose company do you enjoy the most?
- What does “love on the first sight” look to you?
- What is one thing that someone can do for you and will instantly make your life better?
- Do you believe in eternal love? Why?
- How do you describe your present intimate relationship?
11 Journal prompts for self-discovery to find your purpose
- Who do you want to be?
- How do you want to be remembered 100 years from now?
- If you are powerful enough, what difference will you make in the world?
- How will you picture yourself in 10/20/50 years?
- What will you do with $50,000,000?
- Write your own epitaph.
- What is your life purpose?
- Who do you admire? What will you say to him/her if possible?
- If you can be one celebrity, who will that be?
- If you can solve a problem of your country, what is that?
- What will make the world a better place?
Here are all the thought-provoking journal prompts for self-discovery.
Leave a comment or drop me a mail to tell me what you think!